Thursday, April 30, 2009

Celebrating Our New Table: Madeleines and Beef Bourguignon





I found a recipe for classic Beef Bourguignon that required cooking time on the stove top and in the oven (10 minutes here, 4 minutes there, 4 minutes here, and then finally 3 hours).  I had the best intentions of making it this way, but in the end I opted for an all-stove top version.  It was so much less stressful, and the end result was magnificent.  The only complaint is that the meat could have been a little more tender and would have benefited from an extra half hour of cooking.  The sauce, with it's deep, rich flavors of beef, bacon, wine, tomato, garlic, thyme, and bay leaf, was incredibly satisfying - especially when soaked in a slice of fresh, crusty bread.  The dish can be served over rice or pasta, but I chose to leave it in its simple glory.  The temperature hit 80F in Denmark and though it might have been better to grill outside, we enjoyed every last bite of this classic comfort food.  It's easy to prepare but still a very special dish.  By the way, the photo does not do it justice.


It must have been French food day as I decided to make Madeleines for the first time.  I was super happy with the way they looked, but not so happy with the heavy, dense texture.  The ingredients are simple and the little cakes had good flavor, but they did not turn out as light as I had hoped.  They should have been more spongy.  I will have to keep playing with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment