Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Failed Enchiladas

Yesterday we wanted to be in a town about 40 km away by 4:00 p.m. to look at a dining table and chairs at the Blue Cross second hand store.  My husband was supposed to be home by 3:00 so we would have plenty of time to get there before it closed at 5:00 p.m.  Even though he was running late, we made it in time and ended up buying the table.  So after four weeks without one, tomorrow we will have our meals on a real live table.  I can't wait.  My plan is to make Beef Bourguignon to celebrate.  Not a light, spring dish, but it's a recipe I've wanted to try for some time now.  Yes, I am going somewhere with this story.  I figured that we would get home late from the Blue Cross and wouldn't it be nice to have something easy for dinner?  

Enter the worst chicken enchiladas known to man.  Maybe not that bad, but certainly not one of my better creations.  Basically I did a quick Internet search for chicken enchiladas and borrowed elements from different recipes.  The reason I was inspired to make this dish is because I had roast chicken leftovers, some kidney beans in the fridge, and four leftover tortillas.  I make my own enchilada sauce because it's not available in the stores here.  But I only had one cup of tomato sauce, so I added some canned, chopped tomatoes to it along with a little cumin, cinnamon, chili powder, and salt and pepper.  I heated the sauce and set it aside. Then I de-boned the leftover chicken and mixed it with some salsa, chili powder, black olives, and the beans.  All I did was roll the chicken mixture in the tortillas, pour the sauce over, top with shredded cheddar (I've yet to find Jack cheese in Denmark, let alone pepper Jack, one of my favorites with Mexican food), and bake.  For some reason--my best guess is that I could have baked it at a higher temperature (I used 350F) and longer than 30 minutes--they really sucked.  Also, I am not a fan of dark meat, and much of my chicken filling came from the legs, thighs, and wings.  I thought the dark meat taste overpowered the other flavors.

So there it is.  It's not my first failure in the kitchen...and it won't be my last.  

No comments:

Post a Comment