Friday, April 24, 2009

Friday Night Pizza Pie




When we arrived in Denmark, we tried at least three different pizza places and all were disappointing.  We asked around and finally found Daddy's Pizza, a place that consistently makes a delicious pie.  Unfortunately, we've moved 46 kilometers away and are faced with the same problem as before:  where is the good pizza in this town?  So for now, we are making our own. Pizza cooked in a home oven (and without a baking stone) just doesn't produce the same quality crust as commercial ovens, but the advantages are that I can control the ingredients and it's economical.  Tonight I prepared some pizza dough, shaped it in a round pan, and topped it with sauce, equal parts Parmesan, cheddar and fresh mozzarella, sliced ham, pineapple tidbits, fresh basil, and a handful of green and black olives.  Daddy's puts green olives on their pizza, and it's such a good addition (one I wouldn't have thought of).  

On another note, I visited AMU NorthJutland today to see about cooking courses.  While someone at the school had given me promising information over the phone, my hopes were dashed when the student counselor tested my Danish language skills (by asking me tons of questions and trying to have a conversation with me - as if!) and I failed miserably. She informed me that unless I have a fundamental knowledge of the language (and can comprehend the Danish course instructions), it would not be a good fit for me.  Back to the drawing board. My next plan is to show up in person at restaurants, bakeries, and work place cafeterias and see if they might consider taking me on for free to start with, just so I can get my foot in the door, learn more Danish, and get some work experience.  After a break from my Danish classes at the sprogcenter (due to our move), it's back to business.


No comments:

Post a Comment