Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Snowed in





From what I've heard, there hasn't been this much snow in Denmark in fourteen years.  We've got over a foot in front of our house, and our little town is covered in a blanket of thick, white fluff.  Alan skied to work this morning, and I thought it would be fun to walk Anatole to daycare in his Chariot stroller.  All I can say is, good idea gone bad.  Pushing the stroller through unplowed streets and sidewalks was a nightmare, not to mention a total sweat fest.  By the time I arrived back home, my little walk (1/2 mile) had turned in to a 90-minute round trip work out that left me wiped out and red-faced from the wind and heavy snow flakes battering down.  But nothing like a little adventure to kick off the new year!




The fjord that we can see from our house is almost entirely frozen over, and I'm feeling sorry for the poor swans and ducks that are living in close quarters on the unfrozen part.




Here is my lunch today:  slices of rugbrød with butter, sliced deli chicken, mellemlagret cheese, and red snacking peppers.  And, in true Danish style, served with a whole carrot on the side.



Tonight for dinner we'll have homemade veggie soup (mostly pumpkin), which is tucked away nicely in our freezer, and risengrød, the rice porridge recipe I shared a few weeks ago.

I better get back to my one of my top five resolutions for 2010:  finding a job, preferably one that is rewarding, pays a lot of money, and has amazing benefits.  One can dream, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment