Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cuppa Yo

I thought frozen yogurt was sort of a thing of the past, but that couldn't be further from the truth.  I don't know if it's still the case, but when I visited a friend in NYC a few years ago Pinkberry Frozen Yogurt was all the rage. And who can forget The Country's Best Yogurt, better known as TCBY?  I haven't been to one since my college days in the 1990s and did a quick check online to see if it's still around.  It is!

There are key advantages to frozen yogurt.  Namely, fewer calories and less fat than ice cream.  I enjoy the the light and creamy consistency, and it's fun to self-select toppings.  A good frozen yogurt shop is like Subway Sandwiches or Chipotle Mexican Grill.  You start with a couple of basic ingredients and then make your own delicious creation with your choice of toppings.

In the 10 months since I'd been home, Bend, OR, got it's own, local frozen yogurt shop called Cuppa Yo.  The place is decorated simply and in darling bright colors.  The yogurt machines are tucked cleverly behind a wall with large window-type cut-outs, so all you see is the name of the featured flavors and the handles with which to dispense the frozen treat.














It's all DIY.  Upon entering the shop, one starts by selecting the container size of choice (prices are based on weight), filling it with one or more of the featured yogurt flavors, adding toppings (everything from Captain Crunch cereal to chocolate chips to fresh fruit and nuts), and taking it to the register to weigh and pay.  I paid just over $3.00 for my dish of Red Velvet Cake and Alpine Vanilla topped with crushed Oreo cookies and raspberries.

Now if I could just find a Pinkberry, TCBY, or Cuppa Yo in Denmark.











No comments:

Post a Comment