Thursday, June 11, 2009

Danish Greek Salad


Did my title catch your attention? I've been sick all week with a cold, sore throat, and cough and the foods that appeal to me most are fresh, seasonal fruits and veggies. Today for lunch I chopped cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, and feta and added two things to give this salad a Danish twist: slices of a beautiful narrow little yellow Danish pepper and a piece of toasted rugbrod on the side. The pepper added even more splendid color to the salad, and the bread was a fantastic, crunchy accompaniment. Unfortunately, I'm out of Kalamata olives, but normally I'd toss some of those in, too.

To the top, I added a few sprinkles of dried oregano and a 1/4 teaspoon or so of Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning. I didn't bother with a dressing, but you can easily add a splash of olive oil and vinegar or olive oil and lemon juice.

This is such a terrific salad this time of year. Everything tastes so fresh and good. I recommend letting the tomato and cucumber come to room temperature before assembling; but if you prefer your veggies straight from the fridge, go for it. My tomatoes are typically on the counter, but it's the cucumber that I remove from the fridge ahead of time because I find it tastes better not quite so cold. Also, as a matter of preference, I chop the ingredients into small bits so that all I need is a fork to get it from the bowl into my mouth. In other words, no knife required...but cut the ingredients as big or small as you wish.

Danish Greek Salad
Serves 1 as a main dish or 2 as a side

1/2 cucumber, diced
1 large tomato, diced
1/4 of a block of good feta, crumbled
1/4 of a red onion, chopped fine
1/4c Kalamata olives
1/4 of a yellow pepper, chopped fine (or sliced into rings if you have a narrow pepper)
1 piece sliced, toasted rugbrod (or any good bread)
Sprinkle of oregano
Sprinkle of Greek seasoning (otherwise add a little salt to bring out the flavor of the tomatoes and cucumbers...go easy though, the feta is already salty.)
1. Toss all ingredients into a bowl, mix in spices, add, if you wish, a dressing of olive oil and red wine vinegar, and serve with toasted bread. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment