Monday, May 11, 2009

Pancakes


The objective of today's post is to write about pancakes.  But first a couple of updates:

I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I have approached two local bakeries about working (or even volunteering) to learn how to make bread.  The first told me to learn more Danish and check back with them in a few months.  The second place is thinking about my offer--they even took my name and number, which--after so many flat out rejections--made me feel good.  I have no idea if it means anything or not, but I was told I could call them this Friday to follow-up.  Apparently the baker does all his work between midnight and 8:00 a.m.  That would mean I would have to work at night, something I've never attempted before.  I am a morning person through and through, but I am willing to work the night shift if it means I can learn more about baking.  Stay tuned...

I found some rhubarb in the market today, so this week I will make Hannetjie's rhubarb cake.

Back to pancakes...

When I was growing up, the only kind of pancakes we had at home were buttermilk, usually from a boxed mix.  The toppings were simply butter and maple syrup--and it was always Aunt Jemima or another brand of fake maple syrup.  In middle school, however, I discovered crepes. From time to time I would enjoy them at my friend Jenny's house.  Her mom made them from scratch and we'd eat them one after the other--rolled up cigar style--with butter and powered sugar inside.  But I like other kinds of pancakes, too.  In the U.S. there is a breakfast restaurant chain called Original Pancake House that makes the best Dutch Baby Pancakes ever.  The pancake is bakes up puffy and golden brown.  It's served in a pie plate with melted butter, powdered sugar, and a wedge of lemon.  So good.  

But back to crepes.  I noticed a recipe for thin pancakes on Everybody Likes Sandwiches.  I was attracted to it for several reasons.  First, no blender required--hand mixing works perfectly fine and delivers the same results.  Second, I did not have to make the batter and then put it in the fridge for an hour, like some recipes require.  Finally, I was taken with the notion that the name of the recipe is "thin pancakes," not crepes.  I can't really explain it, I just like the fact it's called this way.  But most of all, I strongly endorse this recipe because it makes a beautiful batter that cooks in the pan so nicely (no sticking or fussing invloved) and the finished pancakes are divine.  

My husband and son ate theirs with my father-in-law's delicious Myrtille jam (from wild blueberries in the French Alps), while I opted for my standard filling of butter and powdered sugar.  This with a cup of milky black tea was a perfect way to start the day.  Excluding my husband, who eats little for breakfast and always toast, during the week my son and I alternate between cold cereal, oatmeal, eggs, toast, and yogurt, or combinations thereof.  But on Sundays I enjoy preparing something special.  I will certainly incorporate this recipe into my Sunday morning breakfast line-up.


No comments:

Post a Comment