Friday, November 5, 2010

Randomness


















It's been a productive morning.  Last night I prepared a batch of Bircher muesli, which is easy and incredible the next morning.  All you do is mix a cup of oats with a half cup boiling water, a pinch of salt, and a few squeezes of lemon juice.  Stir and set aside to cool.  Once mixture is cool, top with plastic wrap and leave on the counter overnight.  When you are ready for breakfast the next morning, add 10-12 tablespoons plain (or Greek) yogurt, 1-2 teaspoons of honey, one grated apple, and a handful of toasted nuts.  You are welcome to omit the apple and use any combination of fresh or dried fruits you like.  It's beyond good!

As I sit here eating my lunch of coconut split pea dahl (recipe coming soon),  I can hear a saucepan filled with the makings of fig butter simmering away on the stove.  If all goes smoothly, I will be enjoying fig scones at about this time tomorrow.  I discovered the recipe in Kim Boyce's spectacular book Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours.  I will most definitely share the recipe.

Finally, resting on my countertop is a large bowl of sponge starter (on day two of three).  I have grand plans to turn it into two loaves of Estonian rye bread.  Why?  Well, I stumbled upon Nami-Nami, an amazing food blog written in English by an Estonian woman named Pille.  Incidentally, nami-nami means yummy in Estonian.  Winding my way around her site, I found an interview she did back in 2007 in which she raves about Estonian rye bread, describing it as a delightful mix of sweet and sour.  I was enchanted but unsuccessful in finding a recipe for the bread on her site.  Fortunately, I discovered another one that looked simple and delicious.  Two of the world's best words, if you ask me.

And yes,  recipe coming soon.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment